Choosing an Energy Partner
Our customers' safety is very important!
Below are tips to help keep you, your family and co-workers safe from energy-related hazards.
- If anyone in your household is using life-sustaining equipment that runs on electricity, make sure that your utility and energy supplier are aware of it. They will make you a priority should there ever be an interruption in service.
- Do not let anyone who says they work for your utility or energy supplier enter your home unless they have legitimate photo identification.
- Replace outdoor light bulbs as soon as they burn out. A brighter home makes for a safer environment.
- Electrical cords that are frayed, worn, or severed should be replaced, or repaired. Many fires have resulted from home electrical repairs.
- Don't overload electrical sockets or extension cords. Connecting too many appliances to one outlet can overheat the wires and result in fire. In fact, one of every six home fires is started by overheated wires.
- Do not use an indoor extension cord outdoors for any reason. It's not designed to function outdoors and represents a potential hazard.
- Be careful not to put flammable materials too close to electric lamps or heaters.
- Keep all electrical appliances away from water in sinks, tubs, or swimming pools.
- Never plug anything into an electrical outlet if your hands are wet.
- Do not blow out the pilot light in your oven or range. Gas will continue to flow and create a dangerous situation that could result in an explosion.
- Never use your oven or gas range to heat a room. This increases the risk of fire and begins to replace the oxygen in the room with lethal carbon monoxide gas.
- If you think you smell gas, call your utility company IMMEDIATELY. Do not attempt to find or fix the leak yourself.
- Always keep an "emergency kit" in case of a power outage. The kit should include a battery-powered radio, flashlights with supply of extra batteries, candles, and extra blankets. Make sure everyone in the family knows where the kit is kept.
- If you must move a gas stove or dryer for repair or cleaning, be extremely careful as you could crack or mis-align the gas connection.
- Keep space heaters in an area where they will not be knocked over and away from flammable materials like furniture or curtains.
- If a wire falls on or comes in contact with a car that you are in, do not get out or attempt to move it. The car's rubber tires will provide insulation to protect you until help arrives.
- If electric wires fall to the ground near your home, do not touch or go near them. Call your utility company IMMEDIATELY.
- Be extremely careful when using metal ladders. Be sure to position them so that there's no chance they can fall on or come in contact with electrical wires.
- Contact your local utility company before doing any digging on your property. There may be dangerous electrical wires or gas lines underground.
- If your basement becomes flooded, stay out of it until you can arrange to have the power turned off. Water conducts electricity and you could get electrocuted.
- Take great care to follow all manufacturer-recommended precautions when using a portable gas-powered electricity generator. Do not run such a generator indoors since the engine burns gas and emits deadly carbon-monoxide.
- Be extremely careful when removing trees and tree limbs on your property. If power lines are involved, call a professional tree service or your local utility.
- Always shut off the power at the fuse box in your home when making any electrical repairs.
- If you choose to hang holiday lights inside or outside your house, be sure not to overload outlets or extension cords. Only use extension cords made for outdoor use when hanging lights outside
Safety for Kids
Kids are naturally curious, and their explorations can put them at risk. That's why it is important to educate them about energy and energy safety. The tips below can help you keep your kids out of harm's way.
- Talk to your kids about electricity and natural gas, and let them know that it can be harmful to them if they are not careful.
- Teach them to recognize the smell of natural gas, and to report it to an adult if they should ever encounter it.
- Don't let them play near high voltage towers, wires, or transformers.
- Alert them to the potential dangers of climbing trees. There might be a live power line hidden among the branches.
- Teach your kids to stay far away from any downed power lines they may come across.
- Don't let your kids fly kites in the vicinity of live power lines. Likewise, discourage them from throwing any objects such as shoes, toys, or clothes over power lines.
- Show them what a “Danger: High Voltage” sign looks like, and tell them what it means. Make sure they understand to steer clear of areas marked with those warning signs.
- Explain to your kids why they need to keep all electrical appliances away from bathtubs, sinks and swimming pools, and don't let them touch anything electrical with wet hands.
- If you have very young children, place plastic outlet covers in all electrical outlets within their reach. Electric shock can be harmful, and even fatal — especially to a toddler or small child.